Tiago Ilori Liverpool defender Tiago Ilori is still not ready to make his Aston Villa debut after signing on a season-long loan.The Portugal Under-21 ace was on international duty in the summer and has turned out for Villa’s youth side.But the 22-year-old is still not in contention to make his Premier League debut for Tim Sherwood’s team.“Tiago is not ready,” Sherwood said ahead of his side’s clash with West Brom at the weekend.“He’s a young lad who played in the U21s Championships and he’s played his first 90 minutes since then the other evening against Brighton in the U21s.“It’s probably a bit early for him to start coming into the reckoning.” 1
1 Sunderland midfielder Jack Rodwell believes their squad was improved over the summer despite a worse start to the season.The Black Cats have just two points from their opening seven Premier League ties, compared to the eight points from seven matches this time last year.Fabio Borini, Jermain Lens and Younes Kaboul were signed permanently in the summer and were supplemented by a number of loans that Rodwell reckons have improved the struggling squad.“It’s been a very frustrating start with only two points but the confidence is there because we train with each other every day and we know exactly what everyone can do,” Rodwell said.“I know we have a good squad. I think we have a better squad than last season. And I thought last season we could have won a lot more games than we did.” Sunderland midfielder Jack Rodwell
Here’s the top transfer-related stories in Tuesday’s newspapers…Carlo Ancelotti and Claude Makelele have emerged as a possible Chelsea dream ticket if they decide to sack Jose Mourinho. Ancelotti and Makelele worked together for two years at Paris Saint-Germain before going their separate ways in 2013 and could be reunited at Stamford Bridge. (Daily Mail)Real Madrid fear Chelsea will demand a world-record transfer fee for Eden Hazard. The Spanish giants have started the groundwork towards a mega-money move, likely to be next summer, for the Belgium international. But concerns are growing at the Bernabeu that they will have to surpass the £85million fee they paid Tottenham for Gareth Bale in 2013 to prise Hazard away from Stamford Bridge. (Daily Mail)Watford are among the clubs weighing up the risk of offering Emmanuel Adebayor a route back into football. Adebayor has been without a club since Tottenham cancelled the final year of his contract in September and he is keen to re-launch his career in the Barclays Premier League. (Daily Mail)Manchester City are lining up an £8million bid for Atletico Madrid forward Angel Correa. The Spanish club say they have already turned down an enquiry from City but are expecting them to come back in for the 20-year-old, who has already played for Argentina and is regarded as one of their biggest prospects. (Daily Mirror)Paul Pogba has NOT agreed to join Barcelona, according to his agent Mino Raiola, offering Chelsea and Manchester City hope in the battle to land the Juventus midfielder. (Daily Express)Liverpool have placed Barcelona forward Cristian Tello on their list of transfer targets as it looks like he wants out of the Nou Camp on a permanent basis. The 24-year-old is on loan at Porto after struggling to become a regular in the Barca line-up and Liverpool are considering making a move. (Metro)And here’s the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…Manchester United and West Ham target Alexandre Pato hints at possible Premier League move‘You never know…’ – Cristiano Ronaldo refuses to rule out Real Madrid exitWorld Cup winning-manager Marcello Lippi ‘not ready’ to replace Jose Mourinho if Chelsea decide to sack under-pressure boss‘Jose Mourinho has earned the right to have a bad spell’ – Danny Murphy says Chelsea must back under-fire bossChelsea would consider former Man City boss Roberto Mancini as potential Jose Mourinho replacementTransfer report: Manchester United lining up January move for Leicester sensation Riyad Mahrez
Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny will decide his future after Euro 2016.The Poland international is currently on loan at Roma after Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech moved to the Emirates last summer.Szczesny is still keen to remain at Arsenal, but is refusing to rule out staying in the Italian capital after a successful stint there, and is relaxed about his situation.“My future will be decided after the European Championship,” Szczesny told Polish website przegladsportowy.pl.“I love Arsenal, but I’m happy at Roma. I know that Roma want me, but I don’t see why Arsenal would not want me also.“[Roma coach Rudi] Garcia believes in me and so too do my teammates and the fans. Coming to Rome was the best choice.“It’s best being a protagonist for the runners-up in Italy than sitting on the bench in England. Even [Arsene] Wenger thought it was the best thing for me.” 1 Wojciech Szczesny
1 Pep Guardiola Pep Guardiola skipped a planned press conference on Friday as speculation intensified over his future.Reports in Spain have claimed that the Bayern Munich boss has agreed to take over at Manchester City when his contract with the Bundesliga club expires next summer.Guardiola was due to face the German media ahead of Saturday’s clash with Hertha Berlin.But defender Jerome Boateng fielded reporters’ questions instead, with Bayern claiming private reasons were behind the Spaniard’s absence.The no-show will increase speculation that Guardiola is on his way out of the Allianz Arena.Guardiola, who took charge of the German giants in 2013, has guided Bayern to back-to-back Bundesliga titles but has yet to hold talks over extending his contract beyond 2016.Bayern are keen to keep hold of the former Barcelona boss but City are desperate for him to replace Manuel Pellegrini and are reportedly ready to make him the world’s highest-paid manager.The respected Spanish radio station Cadena COPE even claimed on Friday that Guardiola has given City CEO Ferran Soriano and director Txiki Begiristain, friendsfrom his Barcelona days, his word that he will join them at the Etihad next summer.
Mark Bosnich believes Diego Costa’s spectacular tantrum on Sunday spells the beginning of the end for the striker at Chelsea.Costa refused to take part in the warm-up ahead of the Premier League clash with Tottenham after being omitted from the Blues’ starting XI and later tossed his substitute’s bib at boss Jose Mourinho.Mourinho insisted after the goalless draw that the Spaniard’s reaction to being dropped was understandable, but Bosnich claims the Spaniard’s career at Stamford Bridge is now certain to be over.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the former Chelsea goalkeeper said: “It didn’t look good. Generally when you are with a manager and you do that type of thing, it is the beginning of the end. “Not going out for the warm-up, I can understand that completely, but throwing the bib at the manager during the game points to one way.“They probably won’t do it immediately but I really do think it is the beginning of the end, which is really unfortunate because he has been a smash hit since he has been at Chelsea.”
1 Belgian starlet Youri Tielemans Manchester United could hijack Juventus’ pursuit of highly-rated teenager Youri Tielemans, according to reports in Italy.Juve are one of a number of European clubs who are interested in signing the Belgian, with Atletico Madrid also lining up an offer.However, according to Tuttosport, United could sneak in and trump any offer made for the young playmaker next summer.The report claims Juventus are worried about United’s interest in Tielemans, which could test their financial resolve.Tielemans’ current contract runs until 2020 so it would take a significant bid from either club to lure him away from the Belgian capital.
Jermaine Jenas 1 Former Tottenham and Newcastle midfielder Jermaine Jenas has confirmed his retirement from professional football.The 32-year-old hangs up hit boots after failing to fully recover from a knee injury suffered in April.Jenas made more than 400 club appearances, last playing for Queens Park Rangers, and has been working as a media pundit.The dynamic midfielder started out as a trainee at Nottingham Forest before moving to Newcastle for £5million as an 18-year-old in February 2002.He moved to Tottenham three years later for an initial £7m, and remained at Spurs during an injury hampered eight seasons before joining QPR.Capped 21 times by England, Jenas also had a loan spell at Aston Villa, and briefly back with Forest in late 2012.Current Hoops striker Charlie Austin paid tribute to his former team-mate. He said on Twitter: “Was a pleasure playing with @jjenas8 even though it was just for one year he was a top player/top bloke and now smashing it as a pundit.”
Roy Hodgson may have some sleepless nights if Gareth Bale keeps producing performances like the one he did against Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday night.Bale scored three to become the first British player to score more than one hat-trick in a single La Liga season.Real Madrid went on to win 5-0 in Zinedine Zidane’s first game as manager since he replaced Rafa Benitez on Monday.Bale’s Wales face England in Group B at the European Championships in the summer and Hodgson may have to rethink his plans with how to deal with the Madrid winger.See all of the goals from Bale’s brilliant hat-trick below! 1 Gareth Bale
1 West Ham and Crystal Palace target Simone Zaza is wanted by German club Wolfsburg.The 24-year-old is not starting many games at Juventus this season, with Paulo Dybala and Alvaro Morata ahead of him in the pecking order.And he has options to move to the Premier League where a few clubs are in need of firepower.The Hammers and Eagles have both been hit by injuries to their attacking players around the halfway point of the season.The hamstring strain Andy Carroll has picked up for Slaven Bilic’s side was particularly cruel as the forward had just returned to form.Zaza would be able to lead the line for either club but he is now a target for the Bundesliga side.The former Sassuolo man has started just three Serie A games this season and returned an impressive three goals. Juventus striker Simone Zaza in action